Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Help pick a beater for Sting

Go down 
+2
Cody
rjw
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7833
Registration date : 2009-03-16

Help pick a beater for Sting - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help pick a beater for Sting   Help pick a beater for Sting - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 4:59 pm

So you never spun it Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

People Skills : 7786
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Help pick a beater for Sting   Help pick a beater for Sting - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 6:53 pm

Cody Harris wrote:
So you never spun it Crying or Very sad

I know, I know...here's the latest..more traditional, maybe ???

Help pick a beater for Sting - Page 2 2_pc_b11
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Help pick a beater for Sting   Help pick a beater for Sting - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 8:23 am

Well, the latest 2 piece beater is almost ready to rumble....another day to gather up some hardware
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5953
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Help pick a beater for Sting   Help pick a beater for Sting - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 3:51 pm

I'm interested in how it turns out. I wish I could add something to help, but it seems you've 'got it covered.' Furthermore, the only beater I ever built was completed in 1 day and fell apart in it's second match.

I was wondering tho, why (and how) you tapered the two part beater from the center region outward. My guess has something to do with weight and axle size. . .
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Help pick a beater for Sting   Help pick a beater for Sting - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 4:22 pm

rdubard wrote:
I'm interested in how it turns out. I wish I could add something to help, but it seems you've 'got it covered.' Furthermore, the only beater I ever built was completed in 1 day and fell apart in it's second match.

I was wondering tho, why (and how) you tapered the two part beater from the center region outward. My guess has something to do with weight and axle size. . .

Mostly for weight, but I decided to try tweaking the loads in SW and go conventional....I got to save more weight, but I think that it's iffy...probably not enough service factor for impact loading, especially against a strong horizontal undercutter.

Also, the tapered design would allow for more grinding in a straight on head to head, in that the trailing edge would come into play as well.

It's all a bunch of BS, that I wish was over and done with....lol
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Help pick a beater for Sting   Help pick a beater for Sting - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2009 1:13 pm

spin it!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Dan Curhan
Admin
Dan Curhan

People Skills : 6388
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Help pick a beater for Sting   Help pick a beater for Sting - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2009 3:48 pm

looks good. The pulley is well protected, the counterbalance looks good... how much does it weigh?
Back to top Go down
http://666bots.blogspot.com/
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Help pick a beater for Sting   Help pick a beater for Sting - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 4:25 pm

Dan Curhan wrote:
looks good. The pulley is well protected, the counterbalance looks good... how much does it weigh?

just under 3/4 lbs.

But it draws too much amperage and doesn't get up to speed...17k is about max

I'm back to the drawing board and probably back to the drum
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Help pick a beater for Sting   Help pick a beater for Sting - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 12:09 am

because of drag?
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

People Skills : 6184
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Help pick a beater for Sting   Help pick a beater for Sting - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 2:28 am

not surprised.. lots more air is being pushed around..
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Help pick a beater for Sting   Help pick a beater for Sting - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 2:42 am

alex and i were going to see if theres a vortex in the center of the beater around the shaft, never got around to it though Neutral
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

PostSubject: Re: Help pick a beater for Sting   Help pick a beater for Sting - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 2:46 am

Funny, I was just wondering that myself! I wonder if there's one inside of Fluffy's drum, since it's got open ends..
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Help pick a beater for Sting   Help pick a beater for Sting - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 1:47 pm

next time you shoul machine edges onto to supports so they would be like fan blades but have them opposite so if the would work one side would draw air into the drum and and the other side would pull the hot air out, maybe helping cool your electronics and motor a little
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

PostSubject: Re: Help pick a beater for Sting   Help pick a beater for Sting - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 4:06 pm

haha we were joking about that when we were designing it! we could still glue some on!
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

People Skills : 6596

PostSubject: Re: Help pick a beater for Sting   Help pick a beater for Sting - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 5:15 pm

Drilling a hole at just the right angle through the drum's wall would work just as well.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Help pick a beater for Sting   Help pick a beater for Sting - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 6:30 pm

you wont try it Razz
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

PostSubject: Re: Help pick a beater for Sting   Help pick a beater for Sting - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 9:28 pm

Cody Harris wrote:
you wont try it Razz
I might, if I actually had something inside the drum to cool. Two (or four, or thirty for that matter) holes aren't going to take a lot out of a drum's structural strength as long as they're placed appropriately.
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Help pick a beater for Sting   Help pick a beater for Sting - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 12:38 am

Cody Harris wrote:
because of drag?

Not 100% sure just yet...I can also flip a blade around and it would be a true single blade beater, and see if anything changes.

In any case, I will do some testing to see how it does, hitting somethings...just a bit busy at the moment
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Help pick a beater for Sting   Help pick a beater for Sting - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 1:54 am

Jeff L wrote:
Cody Harris wrote:
you wont try it Razz
I might, if I actually had something inside the drum to cool. Two (or four, or thirty for that matter) holes aren't going to take a lot out of a drum's structural strength as long as they're placed appropriately.

i would have to think holes like that would just put alot of drag on the drum actually
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

PostSubject: Re: Help pick a beater for Sting   Help pick a beater for Sting - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 9:04 pm

Cody Harris wrote:
Jeff L wrote:
Cody Harris wrote:
you wont try it Razz

i would have to think holes like that would just put alot of drag on the drum actually
Yeah, you'd have to check and see that the motor was up to the task of the extra load.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Help pick a beater for Sting   Help pick a beater for Sting - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 9:43 pm

woot for surface area/tension
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help pick a beater for Sting   Help pick a beater for Sting - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help pick a beater for Sting
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2