Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Hexxus beetleweight in progress

Go down 
+7
Koolaid64
Camden W
SamM
Dan Curhan
FingerTech
Cody
Evan Steeves
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Don Doerfler
super contributor
super contributor
Don Doerfler

People Skills : 5638
Registration date : 2009-12-24

Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hexxus beetleweight in progress    Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 10:26 pm

katastic
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/DoerflerRobotics?feature=mhum
Koolaid64
mega contributor
mega contributor
Koolaid64

People Skills : 5929
Registration date : 2009-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Hexxus beetleweight in progress    Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 10:30 pm

its looking pretty sweet
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
great contributor
great contributor

People Skills : 5120
Registration date : 2011-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Hexxus beetleweight in progress    Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 11:54 pm

thanks it's been alot of fun so far.
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
great contributor
great contributor

PostSubject: Re: Hexxus beetleweight in progress    Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 12:51 am

as of tonight its 90% finished all thats left to do is shorten some wires add some carbon to hold the wires in and its ready for combat cheers

i made some clamp style motor mounts out of 1/2" polycarb and added some aluminum washers to the foam wheels for some stability

so far I tested it at 1/4 throtle and was blowing through my 1/4" 6061 aluminum scraps and threw my 2lb block of aluminum about 30 feet away violently then I caught a little gyro action and started chipping pieces out of my driveway and thats when I stopped hitting stuff lol I did spin it up all the way and its perfectly balanced and freaking loud it

and a handle of capt morgan for scale Very Happy
Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 Hexxus7
Back to top Go down
Camden W
big contributor
big contributor

People Skills : 4921
Registration date : 2011-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Hexxus beetleweight in progress    Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 8:21 am

kill the bottle! Twisted Evil can't wait to watch it Very Happy lol and there's laundry baskets in the pic too tongue
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
great contributor
great contributor

PostSubject: Re: Hexxus beetleweight in progress    Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 8:56 pm

completly finished it today lights master switch and all. hooray!

heres some pics.

"armor" carbon panels on and dual aluminum washers on each wheel for stability

Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 Hexxus11

all the electronics fit with enough room for shock foam on all sides

note: zip ties are not motor mounts a first for me cheers

Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 Hexxus12

lights on ready to put a wrecking on something, or get wrecked lol
Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 Hexxus13
Back to top Go down
Camden W
big contributor
big contributor

PostSubject: Re: Hexxus beetleweight in progress    Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 9:07 pm

what's the total weight? maybe you could add even more lights? Razz
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
great contributor
great contributor

PostSubject: Re: Hexxus beetleweight in progress    Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 9:41 pm

i have no idea yesturday when i weighed all of my components and such was at 46.5oz and i put more holes in it today so im prolly about 2 oz underweight
Back to top Go down
Koolaid64
mega contributor
mega contributor
Koolaid64

PostSubject: Re: Hexxus beetleweight in progress    Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 9:47 am

looks great, very awesome midcutter
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
great contributor
great contributor

PostSubject: Re: Hexxus beetleweight in progress    Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 1:35 pm

did some 1/4 throttle testing today with dan heres some video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWQtcbk0-B4&feature=channel_video_title
Back to top Go down
Camden W
big contributor
big contributor

PostSubject: Re: Hexxus beetleweight in progress    Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 7:22 pm

lol, you can always use it as a remote-controlled weed-whacker XD
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
great contributor
great contributor

PostSubject: Re: Hexxus beetleweight in progress    Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 12:00 pm

Camden W wrote:
lol, you can always use it as a remote-controlled weed-whacker XD

lol it pretty much is at this point.
Back to top Go down
Dan Curhan
Admin
Dan Curhan

People Skills : 6368
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Hexxus beetleweight in progress    Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 11:04 pm

Are you under weight, sir?
Back to top Go down
http://666bots.blogspot.com/
Evan Steeves
great contributor
great contributor

PostSubject: Re: Hexxus beetleweight in progress    Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 10:15 am

Dan Curhan wrote:

lol about that.... tonight i will be, ARE YOUUUU UNDERWEIGHT!?!?!?!
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
great contributor
great contributor

PostSubject: Re: Hexxus beetleweight in progress    Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 11:25 pm

Evan Steeves wrote:
Dan Curhan wrote:

lol about that.... tonight i will be, ARE YOUUUU UNDERWEIGHT!?!?!?!

Now after some milling it weighs 2pounds 15oz

Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 Hexxusmill
Back to top Go down
Camden W
big contributor
big contributor

PostSubject: Re: Hexxus beetleweight in progress    Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 12:13 am

eep! you could have at least made the whole piece a uniform thickness Neutral not only to look better, but provide fewer possible points that an enemy could grab to throw your bot.
Other than that, it looks "great" Wink

Is the tiny hole in the back for a reset button?
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
great contributor
great contributor

PostSubject: Re: Hexxus beetleweight in progress    Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 10:51 pm

Camden W wrote:
eep! you could have at least made the whole piece a uniform thickness Neutral not only to look better, but provide fewer possible points that an enemy could grab to throw your bot.

lol I could have made the thing have the same finish and measured and cut to one thousandth on that mill but I didnt have time for make it pretty and geometerically sound I had time to take it out of the clamp twice and weigh it this all took 2.5 hours, to make it perfect and such would have taken 5 hours with that tiny end mill

and the things on the bottom are just for some unsymmetrical coolness Very Happy I could have milled them off.

The holes were one of the first things put into the bottom they were my first try to lose weight before I got on the mill.

SOOO today it fought!.... and came dead last just like my last beetleweight. Rolling Eyes

First fight I fought busted nuts robotics voodoo magic a mean verticle disc spinner with a 4140 disk at 20k or something fast. the night before I went over all the robots and this one I wanted to fight the least of them all because I know mike is a badass driver from seeing his previous fights on youtube.

well... we both spun up and he was already in my face by the time
I was at half throttle when we first hit, BOOM shower of gold and white sparks from the
steel disc meeting my titanium bar it dulled his tooth and my bar dug halfway into his disc
and I got thrown into the wall. by 30 seconds into the match I was up against the wall
getting outmenuvered by voodoo magic and he got a good line up and ripped through my
rear carbon panel somehow not getting any of my wires lol we hit a few more times and he nearly took my wheels off but my soft foam and soft aluminum washers took the shock.
I could tell he was doing his best to not let me get spun up for obvious reasons well we hit a few more times without me getting to speed and he continued to outdrive me and pushed me into the drop out. cheers

fight number two was from ram robotics, a pusher robot hephastus. I think that was how it was spelled?

Starting the match I for some unknown reason could not make my left side drive motor work so I put it in the arena with only one working wheel. Well i got spun up this time and made shure to nearly hit full throttle It was taking at least 5 seconds to ease into throttle to not get all torqued around by the weapon motor.
First hit I was nearly full throttle and hit her square on the wheel taking it the hub off second hit removed another wheel then I got pushed into the wall and nearly went through the lexan panel trying to not break it i slowed down and it was a pushing match and went to a judged decision of me lose.

during the rumble I put the wrecking on 3 bots at once tongue
Back to top Go down
jtm94
great contributor
great contributor
jtm94

People Skills : 5380
Registration date : 2010-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Hexxus beetleweight in progress    Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 3:34 am

I wanna see the rumble pirat
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7813
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Hexxus beetleweight in progress    Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 6:29 pm

Camden W wrote:

Actually leaving a skin like that keeps it pretty strong.
Back to top Go down
Koolaid64
mega contributor
mega contributor
Koolaid64

PostSubject: Re: Hexxus beetleweight in progress    Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 3:31 pm

so anyone have some event video?
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
great contributor
great contributor

PostSubject: Re: Hexxus beetleweight in progress    Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 5:26 pm

Koolaid64 wrote:
so anyone have some event video?

soon hopefully andrea will put up the vids !

will ripto be ready for botblast?
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
great contributor
great contributor

PostSubject: Re: Hexxus beetleweight in progress    Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 2:40 am

since theres no video ill offer the only picture my dad took lol

Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 Dscf0295k

this was my second fight, against liz's hephaestus its me getting pushed into the wall while tearing off the wheels of hephaestus.
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5933
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Hexxus beetleweight in progress    Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 9:33 am

Kinda unrelated but, are there a lot of 3lb bots with exposed wheels? Cuz it seems that way to me.

Do the little bots just not typically hit hard enough for that to matter, or is there just not enough weight in a 3lber to expend on armoring over the wheels?
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5933
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Hexxus beetleweight in progress    Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 9:41 am

Oh, and back on topic--that is one great looking bot! Nice work. Did the belt hold up OK (even letting up from full throttle?
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
great contributor
great contributor

PostSubject: Re: Hexxus beetleweight in progress    Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 3:50 pm

rdubard wrote:
Oh, and back on topic--that is one great looking bot! Nice work. Did the belt hold up OK (even letting up from full throttle?

thanks mr dubard

Its hard to say about the exposed wheels it really depends on the type of bot it is I supose, some designs can get away with it such as mine using super soft wheels that dont distribute shock loads to the gearmotors then there are the verticle spinners that typically use wheel guards because they have weight and or room to include it into the frame.

the belt broke every fight because i had no pulley rings on my motor can. in testing the belt would last about 20 minutes of use before it was worn too much, for combat the shock loads really beat the belt up and with some polycarb rings I glued on the motor can this morning I was able to fight a piece of concrete for a solid 5 minutes without any noticeable wear on the belt.

Also today after a fresh balance job on the bar and a full charge on the battery I tached the bar at 12.5thousand rpm!!!! that gives me a calculated 1400 foot pounds of energy!!! Very Happy

and since I had a half oz to spare I switched my back armor from carbon fiber to stainless steel and still had weight for my signature hot pink and yellow paintjob, my robots all eventually end up painted this scheme.
Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 Hexxuspaint
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hexxus beetleweight in progress    Hexxus beetleweight in progress  - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hexxus beetleweight in progress
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next