Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

People Skills : 7776
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors Empty
PostSubject: Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors   Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 1:22 pm

For those having problems with motors coming loose and either don't want to or cannot use the typical block support method.....

Here is something that i thought some of you might like and/or need.

It is in the testing stages, so it is possible that rod size, etc. could be smaller. The curent revision is made from 3/8" thick alu 6061 , 5/64ths drill rod and 2-56 nuts and lock washers.

This setup adds 5 grams to each motor and is probably overkill....no way that you can get the motors to move with repsect to the gearbox.

Picture below is with 550 motors, 540 or 545 motors would just use shorter rods

To conserve material, the small alu pieces are sawed from a cnc'd ring..16 pieces per ring. I may offer these as a kit, or just the rings that you can cut pieces out of.....and diy the rest

Let me know what you think or if there is any interest.....

Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors Tierod10
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7823
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors   Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 1:33 pm

Thats basically what we do, but we use about an eighth inch wide piece of aluminum that runs across the back of the motor with a little piece of rubber underneath
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors   Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 1:46 pm

Cody Harris wrote:
Thats basically what we do, but we use about an eighth inch wide piece of aluminum that runs across the back of the motor with a little piece of rubber underneath

It's all good, but I worry about things coming loose and touching terminals, etc...so we did it this way.

I am doing some testing....I can mount a motor with no M3 screws and the tie rods without problems.

This means you can r&r a motor without removing the gearbox!!
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors   Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 2:06 pm

we run the back strap perpindicular to the terminals and besides shock mounting we use the rubber for shock proofing haha
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors   Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 2:35 pm

Cody Harris wrote:
we run the back strap perpindicular to the terminals and besides shock mounting we use the rubber for shock proofing haha

Not arguing , just throwing out ideas...

Both good solutions if they solve the problem.

I don't use rubber, because I tune the motor with an amp meter while tightening the rods...once set, and amperage is at lowest, no rubbery movement which might cause misalignment.

If you're running 4 screws, tho, then perhaps rubber is the way to go.

Our motors come with 2 threades holes....not comfortable with d&t 2 more... with chips goin to magnet and taking them apart is a pain...at least on non-rebuildable cheapo bb motors
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors   Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 3:02 pm

we only use two screws just like you do
while building our bots we always keep the vents tapped off on the motors
And be careful around you speed controlers too, they dont like aluminum for a snack trust me Razz
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors   Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 3:08 pm

Cody Harris wrote:
we only use two screws just like you do
while building our bots we always keep the vents tapped off on the motors
And be careful around you speed controlers too, they dont like aluminum for a snack trust me Razz

We're using scorpion xxl's...what have you guys used or tried with success??

Also, are you running 550 motors or others...any brand that's preferrred?
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors   Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 3:20 pm

we run all banebots parts, thats why i said its wierd hearing all there horror stories

we use RS-550s with 25:1 gearboxes and BB45 speed controlers.

Its kinda funny were sponsored by castle and dont use any of there ESC's lol
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors   Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 5:51 pm

Cody Harris wrote:
we run all banebots parts, thats why i said its wierd hearing all there horror stories

the bb esc's weigh nothing and fit just about anywhere
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors   Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 5:59 pm

rjw wrote:
Cody Harris wrote:

the bb esc's weigh nothing and fit just about anywhere

O i know and there pretty much fool proof
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors   Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 6:04 pm

Only problem is if the bot needs to be a pusher, then they can't handle the amps very well.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors   Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 6:06 pm

We had a some pushing matches with shockwave with bots such as mini knightrous vertex and such and never had a problem with them stalling or anything
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors   Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Cody Harris wrote:
We had a some pushing matches with shockwave with bots such as mini knightrous vertex and such and never had a problem with them stalling or anything

We run at 18volts, so that may have something to do with it... lol
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors   Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 6:12 pm

rjw wrote:
Cody Harris wrote:

We run at 18volts, so that may have something to do with it... lol

Im sure that could help hahaha we also ran smaller motors in shockwave i think 400s? and we burned a bunch up

We have gone threw several of them tho
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors   Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 6:57 pm

The bb 36mm boxes come with either a 540 or a 545 motor...Haven't tried the 545, but the 540 is no where near the 550, power or speed wise.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors   Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 9:07 pm

I have no clue what motors we had in shockwave and thinkin about it im pretty sure 400s arent right at all haha but i know they were smaller, but i think that was the only time we've actually used the motor that came with the gear box
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors   Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 9:13 pm

They also could have been 385's.....not a whole lot of power there...lol
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors   Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 9:15 pm

so i actually decided to look it up, they were the 385 28mm combos, and i think we swapped to 400s after a little
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors   Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tie-rodding Banebots 36mm motors
Page 1 of 1