Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

brushless motors

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dan Curhan
Admin
Dan Curhan

People Skills : 6367
Registration date : 2009-03-14

brushless motors Empty
PostSubject: brushless motors   brushless motors I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 11:57 am

So... Shred began life with an Exceed RC Alpha series brushless outrunner. It did its job fairly well, for a $12 motor. As I don't have much experience with brushless motors, I didn't realize that the wire leads coming off the motors are coated and unsolderable.... I had cut them short, soldered them to the ESC, and was running like that. I noticed strange things happening when I tried spinning up the disk, and it would almost struggle, then the ESC would kill power to it after two seconds because it thought that the motor wasn't spinning properly, and the motor was getting pretty hot. I untaped my solder joints, and saw that all but one or two strands in two of the three connections had come free. So, having bought two Turnigy replacements, I opted to solder banana plug connectors on the ESC, and replace the $12 Exceed RC motor with a $15 Turnigy. The difference astounded me. Granted, they're both cheap chinese motors, but I guess not all cheap chinese motors are made the same! The Turnigy has SO MUCH MORE TORQUE!! Spin up time was practically cut in half!

basically, the moral of the story is, when buying cheap chinese motors, don't buy Exceed RC. Buy TURNIGY!
Back to top Go down
http://666bots.blogspot.com/
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

People Skills : 7765
Registration date : 2009-03-31

brushless motors Empty
PostSubject: Re: brushless motors   brushless motors I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 12:08 pm

you need to sand the wired lightly to remove the coating, before soldering
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
Jamo_G

Jamo_G

People Skills : 5434
Registration date : 2009-07-12

brushless motors Empty
PostSubject: Re: brushless motors   brushless motors I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 2:26 pm

Yup, I second Richard's word. Motors are wound using magnet wire, meaning they have a very light coating on them (because winding a motor without coating would short everywhere!). To solder to that stuff, you have to sand the coating off. Usually turns a more brilliant gold when ready.
Back to top Go down
Koolaid64
mega contributor
mega contributor
Koolaid64

People Skills : 5928
Registration date : 2009-07-05

brushless motors Empty
PostSubject: Re: brushless motors   brushless motors I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 4:37 pm

yes turnigy is the cheap way to go Wink
Back to top Go down
Frisco
super contributor
super contributor

People Skills : 5714
Registration date : 2009-11-01

brushless motors Empty
PostSubject: Re: brushless motors   brushless motors I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 7:16 am

My daughters boyfriend is out at an RC show in Lebanon PA this weekend 3-12-10 through 3-14-10..

He said they have some blowout prices on all kind of motors and electronics...

If anyone is in need of some motors and electro's send me a list and I'll pass it on to him to get the prices..

Might be a cheap way to fill up a shopping list!

Text my cell: (412) 691-1434
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

brushless motors Empty
PostSubject: Re: brushless motors   brushless motors I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

brushless motors
Page 1 of 1