Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

7 in. verticle disk weapon

Go down 
+2
Frisco
kovalyak
6 posters
AuthorMessage
kovalyak

People Skills : 5281
Registration date : 2009-11-12

7 in. verticle  disk weapon Empty
PostSubject: 7 in. verticle disk weapon   7 in. verticle  disk weapon I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 7:22 pm

my weapon is going to be a verticle spinning disk 7 in. in L and im going to have two of them side by side but i dont know what i should make the width of them and how far i should space them apart from each other and space the disk from the frame i have a 4in. area to work with or i can cut that size down to whatever also what material should i use. i am makin a remake of sloth my robot in the 12lb class
Back to top Go down
Frisco
super contributor
super contributor

People Skills : 5716
Registration date : 2009-11-01

PostSubject: Re: 7 in. verticle disk weapon   7 in. verticle  disk weapon I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 7:39 pm

Kody,

What is the material for the discs?
What size motor and gearing are you running?
Will the discs be riding on bearings?
How much space is in between the 2 discs?
What kind of material and how will you space them apart?
Sonic is a single disc Robot????

These are some of the questions you will get in order for the right answers...

Here are some things you might want to include in the explanation-

The 12 lb robot will be 16 inches wide and the framing will be out of 6061 aluminum
You will be running a AXI power 46-670 weapon motor geared at 12 to 32 or 24?????? which would be better gearing? or a better motor to run??
The discs are going to be out of S7 Tool Steel... Thickness ???????
The weapon will be riding on bearings....
You will probably use 3 inch X 1/4 thick 6061 tube to seperate the discs....

Put a little more thought and explanation into your questions and you will get more answers and replies....

Good start though!!!

Glad to see you are seeking answers!!!

Mr. Frisco
Back to top Go down
Dan Curhan
Admin
Dan Curhan

People Skills : 6369
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: 7 in. verticle disk weapon   7 in. verticle  disk weapon I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 8:23 pm

so this is a 12 lb bot i guess?
7 inch diameter?

Are you going to be turning this from a solid block on a lathe? Or are you going to get it machined? Or waterjet cut?

How much weight do you have to allocate to your weapon? If you go into solidworks, and make a solid seven inch diameter disk:

1 inch thick:
steel: 10.71 lbs
6061: 3.75 lbs
7075-T6: 3.91 lbs

every thickness scales from there. 1/2" would be half the weight, etc. Weight is your biggest determining factor for the width of your disks. You can always find a way to make the teeth wider than the disk if you need to thin the disk out to save weight.

This is a better start to asking questions. :]
Back to top Go down
http://666bots.blogspot.com/
kovalyak

People Skills : 5281
Registration date : 2009-11-12

PostSubject: Re: 7 in. verticle disk weapon   7 in. verticle  disk weapon I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 9:22 pm

its a 12lb bot and the discs are going to be 7in. i was going to use S7 Tool Steel for the discs, and the discs will be riding on bearings also i will be running a AXI power 46-670 weapon motor geared at 12 to 32 or 24?????? which would be better gearing? or a better motor to run??
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

People Skills : 6577

PostSubject: Re: 7 in. verticle disk weapon   7 in. verticle  disk weapon I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 10:03 pm

If you're posting direct copies of the questions that were given to you as examples, you're not going to get very far. We won't design a robot for you, we'll just provide you with what is necessary to figure it out yourself. Look through this, then come back and ask further questions. Feel free to skip over the math-heavy sections.
Back to top Go down
Frisco
super contributor
super contributor

People Skills : 5716
Registration date : 2009-11-01

PostSubject: Re: 7 in. verticle disk weapon   7 in. verticle  disk weapon I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 10:15 pm

Thanks Jeff...

Kody has the PDF in school....

He is a 10th grader and new to the bots so he is just trying to figure it all out....

Try to keep his spirits up as he is the only one I see on here questioning people out of my 20 or so students....

He has done some good design work for the framing and overall design; he just needs to figure out the specifics of the best motor match ups and weight ratios to finish it off...

I think it might be a good design for his first robot build!

Thanks

Frisco
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

People Skills : 6577

PostSubject: Re: 7 in. verticle disk weapon   7 in. verticle  disk weapon I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 10:30 pm

Ah, ok. We still need a fair bit of detail in the questions to be of any help though.

My suggestions based on what you've got so far:

-Use aluminum for the disk material, with small carbide teeth (look at around the 2/3 mark on this page: https://battlebots.forumotion.com/show-off-f9/an-ant-or-two-t225-30.htm for a good example [those are actually steel in the pictures, but the mounting method should be fine for both materials])

-As for gearing, I'm unable to find specs on that specific motor, but as long as it's not going so fast as to have chattering issues the faster gearing ratio should be fine.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7814
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: 7 in. verticle disk weapon   7 in. verticle  disk weapon I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 11:24 pm

I dont feel like crunching numbers now but here's what goes threw my head
Axi28-26 13=34 gearing should get you could speed and quick spin up
if you have the resources use s7
you will have to machine alot out of it (thnk car wheel) to get it around a good weight
aluminum with steel teeth works to and is easier(RE did it on woodynator)

remember not to skimp on your fasteners between the two disk, i always wanted to see someone run the pulley in between butttttt o well
If the discs break apart your SOL
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

People Skills : 6165
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: 7 in. verticle disk weapon   7 in. verticle  disk weapon I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 11:39 pm

isn't that how they have Exterminator running? belt in between?
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7814
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: 7 in. verticle disk weapon   7 in. verticle  disk weapon I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 11:53 pm

maybe i dont remember lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 7 in. verticle disk weapon   7 in. verticle  disk weapon I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

7 in. verticle disk weapon
Page 1 of 1