Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

weapon flywheel ideas

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mathew Bailey

People Skills : 4595
Registration date : 2011-09-02

weapon flywheel ideas Empty
PostSubject: weapon flywheel ideas   weapon flywheel ideas I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 8:38 pm

Anyone have ideas for what could be used as a weapon flywheel? For me or anyone, I'm thinking of either an external rotor type motor from a ceiling fan (yes modern ceiling fans use an external rotor type motor) to be belt or friction driven for a weapon flywheel & not feeding power at all to the fan motor itself since it's AC & combat bots & their motors use DC. Another is to use a turntable from a Seeburg jukebox mechanisn as a weapon flywheel This You Tube vid titled seeburg ls2 probleem part 2 shows what the turntable looks like with the record magazine removed.
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5904
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: weapon flywheel ideas   weapon flywheel ideas I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 9:06 am

I'm guessing you do not have access to a mill? Most folks either make their own weapon in a machine shop or design something and have a waterjetting company make it for them. However, I REALLY encourage ingenuity--kudos to you for looking for pre-manufactured solutions!

What size robot? (If I had to guess, you are working on a 15lber,?)
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
great contributor
great contributor

People Skills : 5091
Registration date : 2011-02-05

PostSubject: Re: weapon flywheel ideas   weapon flywheel ideas I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 8:53 pm

turntable flywheels are very soft aluminum not good combat material if you plan to survive some of these mean robots out there.

also ceiling fans use self centering bearings and would only be useful if you rewound it to a viable rpm per volt and made a new shaft with a 2nd bearing just as a typical hobby outrunner uses.

no idea what weight class a celing fan size motor would be used for it would pull 3000+amps under load if it was wound to spin around 1k rpm and make enormous horsepower would need 50 pounds of battery to run properly Very Happy good idea still nonetheless

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: weapon flywheel ideas   weapon flywheel ideas I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

weapon flywheel ideas
Page 1 of 1