Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

SpiderPig Exists!

Go down 
+7
rjw
Dan Curhan
That Guy
Cody
Sean Rubin
Jeff L
Will Bales
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
MattTavares
big contributor
big contributor
MattTavares

People Skills : 5672
Registration date : 2009-04-11

SpiderPig Exists! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: SpiderPig Exists!   SpiderPig Exists! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 7:55 pm

OHHHH! I do that too in blender mini. mabye that is why i've never had any problems.
SpiderPig Exists! - Page 3 Motors10
Back to top Go down
http://www.TavaresLabs.com
Sean Rubin
Prezerdent of Sexxi Cuddlemen
Sean Rubin

People Skills : 5952
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: SpiderPig Exists!   SpiderPig Exists! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 9:57 pm

Jeff L wrote:
I don't think they plan on spinning them super fast... the total stall torque that they gave me for the robot is obscene. Dughi, do you think if you had the vacuum running you could pull a small car?

Yes. Very small tho...like a MiniCooper or a SmartCar.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7823

PostSubject: Re: SpiderPig Exists!   SpiderPig Exists! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 4:16 am

Sorry i was actually out for the night, but i have no problem sharing lol

I think the easiest way to explain it would be like a battery tie down. We mount the motors with four screws to the blocks and then run two shoulder heads from the blocks to the end of the motors.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: SpiderPig Exists!   SpiderPig Exists! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 4:17 am

Matt what CAD program do you use? From the pictures off of your website the drawings look amazing!
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

People Skills : 7776
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: SpiderPig Exists!   SpiderPig Exists! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 1:27 pm

Cody Harris wrote:
Sorry i was actually out for the night, but i have no problem sharing lol

I think the easiest way to explain it would be like a battery tie down. We mount the motors with four screws to the blocks and then run two shoulder heads from the blocks to the end of the motors.

We do something similar...I started a thread on it in the design area of this forum
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
SenaiERI
mega contributor
mega contributor
SenaiERI

People Skills : 5968
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: SpiderPig Exists!   SpiderPig Exists! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 9:21 pm

Cody Harris wrote:
Matt what CAD program do you use? From the pictures off of your website the drawings look amazing!

He uses solid works to design blender mini.
Autocad was used to design The Blender.

SenaiERI
Back to top Go down
http://www.SenaiEngineering.om
That Guy
samurai jesus
samurai jesus
That Guy

People Skills : 6012

PostSubject: Re: SpiderPig Exists!   SpiderPig Exists! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 10:23 pm

Jeff L wrote:
I don't think they plan on spinning them super fast... the total stall torque that they gave me for the robot is obscene. Dughi, do you think if you had the vacuum running you could pull a small car?
Actually no. I think the robot would be strong enough, but I think our wheels might get destroyed based on what happened to Sean's wheels at the Youth Fair.
Back to top Go down
MattTavares
big contributor
big contributor
MattTavares

PostSubject: Re: SpiderPig Exists!   SpiderPig Exists! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 12:56 am

Cody Harris wrote:

Solidworks always donates 20-40 copies of the student editions to use every year and it is AMAZING!

I can use autocad, inventor, solidworks, and pro engineer and in my opinion, solidworks is the best of the bunch.
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

People Skills : 6586
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: SpiderPig Exists!   SpiderPig Exists! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 1:00 am

MattTavares wrote:
Cody Harris wrote:

Solidworks always donates 20-40 copies of the student editions to use every year and it is AMAZING!

I can use autocad, inventor, solidworks, and pro engineer and in my opinion, solidworks is the best of the bunch.
Have you tried the most recent version of Inventor?
Back to top Go down
MattTavares
big contributor
big contributor
MattTavares

PostSubject: Re: SpiderPig Exists!   SpiderPig Exists! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 1:08 am

Jeff L wrote:
MattTavares wrote:
Cody Harris wrote:

Yeah, its alright but it runs slower and dosn't look as pretty as solidworks (in my opinion). Really it just seems like autodesk is trying to copy solidworks.
PLUS they don't give me free copies
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: SpiderPig Exists!   SpiderPig Exists! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 1:11 am

MattTavares wrote:
Jeff L wrote:
MattTavares wrote:
Cody Harris wrote:

Yeah, its alright but it runs slower and dosn't look as pretty as solidworks (in my opinion). Really it just seems like autodesk is trying to copy solidworks.
PLUS they don't give me free copies

I heard if you email them saying your are a college BotsIQ student that uses solidworks and you would like to try Inventor/Autodesk they will give you a free student copy.
Same thing if you email solidworks.
Do you use the student version or do you actually have real solidworks haha
Back to top Go down
MattTavares
big contributor
big contributor
MattTavares

PostSubject: Re: SpiderPig Exists!   SpiderPig Exists! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 1:33 am

I have a 2007 vs of the full fledged thing but i actually use the 2008/2009 student copy because I like the additional features theve added. the only thing they change is the student version is the watermark and as long as you print your prints from e-drawings that dosn't even show up.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: SpiderPig Exists!   SpiderPig Exists! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 2:04 am

For a class last semester we had to draw a gearbox assembly in solidworks, i think about 70 kids takeing the engineering design class copied the same drawing and had the same problems so we convinced our professor there was a problem with the student version cause they wanted you to buy the real version, and she bought it!
In the time aloted in class to do the drawing i either didnt go or designed battlebot stuff butttt im not that good with solidworks yet
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

PostSubject: Re: SpiderPig Exists!   SpiderPig Exists! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 2:24 am

For my drawing course last semester we had to do a team project of an assembly - any one we wanted to - by hand, in 2D CAD, and in 3D CAD [and give a presentation on it]. My team chose a multi-function mechanical pencil (contains both a ballpoint pen & a pencil). We used AutoCAD for the 2D work and the most recent version of their Inventor software for the 3D work, and I actually like the recent version of inventor a bit more than solidworks. Ended up getting a 102% on the project, my best grade at Tech to this date (it was also my final project).
Back to top Go down
Dan Curhan
Admin
Dan Curhan

People Skills : 6378

PostSubject: Re: SpiderPig Exists!   SpiderPig Exists! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 7:41 am

i designed dethinator entirely in 2D autoCAD 2000... but i uhh.. got uhh... a uhh copy of uhh solidworks 2009... and I'm learning how to use it... I'm considering taking dethinator and modeling it in CAD now that we've already made it just to learn how to do everything...

but yeah, solidworks gave us five free student copies this year. :]
Back to top Go down
http://666bots.blogspot.com/
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

PostSubject: Re: SpiderPig Exists!   SpiderPig Exists! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 2:31 pm

Since it is either the day of or the day before everyone heads to competition, some of the long-held secret performance numbers for SpiderPig:

Vacuum Strength: 300 lbs per unit, 600 lbs total for SpiderPig (contains 2 vacuum units), with a total downforce of 720 lbs. Each unit is run 1:1 by an individual brushless outrunner motor (don't remember the model itself, but they're popular with Electric RC Helicopters). It will require almost exactly six times the effort to make SpiderPig skid compared to any other 120.

Stall Torque: 1100 lbs

Maximum Speed: 10 mph

Destroyability/Zombitude: Can loose half of its electronics and remain drivable
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: SpiderPig Exists!   SpiderPig Exists! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 3:28 pm

For all the crazy numbers that i was told i was thinking alot more then 720 lbs of down force, i think copperhead will be able to lift it honestly
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

PostSubject: Re: SpiderPig Exists!   SpiderPig Exists! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 3:38 pm

It should be able to... if SpiderPig is tall enough. I'm not sure if the angle the drum will strike at is the right angle to actually work as well as it does with other robots. That, and from both the drum energy calculations & their videos, Copperhead's hits are usually 5%-10% efficient, and 25% efficient at best. It depends on a lot of different factors, so I guess we'll just have to wait for video on this one.
Back to top Go down
Dan Curhan
Admin
Dan Curhan

People Skills : 6378

PostSubject: Re: SpiderPig Exists!   SpiderPig Exists! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 4:32 pm

I don't know how we're gonna get video though.. it's really unfortunate that they are going to try and restrict the competitors like this. We're not in it to capitalize on the event, we just want to document our efforts!

But if I can somehow sneak video I will...
Back to top Go down
http://666bots.blogspot.com/
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: SpiderPig Exists!   SpiderPig Exists! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 4:39 pm

hahaha its an idea
Back to top Go down
Sean Rubin
Sean Rubin

PostSubject: Re: SpiderPig Exists!   SpiderPig Exists! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 5:02 pm

Jeff L wrote:
It should be able to... if SpiderPig is tall enough. I'm not sure if the angle the drum will strike at is the right angle to actually work as well as it does with other robots. That, and from both the drum energy calculations & their videos, Copperhead's hits are usually 5%-10% efficient, and 25% efficient at best. It depends on a lot of different factors, so I guess we'll just have to wait for video on this one.

Judging from the videos i've seen from Copperhead, the drum is pretty high off the ground. I think that the drum would just catch the top corner of SPiderpig. I don't think that would be strong enough to lift it off the ground, but it will most likely cause damage to the armor (not that that matters).
Back to top Go down
Alan Dreher
great contributor
great contributor

People Skills : 5732

PostSubject: Re: SpiderPig Exists!   SpiderPig Exists! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 5:08 pm

Sean Rubin wrote:
Jeff L wrote:

Judging from the videos i've seen from Copperhead, the drum is pretty high off the ground. I think that the drum would just catch the top corner of SPiderpig. I don't think that would be strong enough to lift it off the ground, but it will most likely cause damage to the armor (not that that matters).
The drum isn't high off the ground.

the drum is massive, yes, but the teeth are relatively close to the ground... It will probably break the suction, throw it backwards and slightly up. Damage wise, I am not sure... May be tons of damage. May be only average damage.

How tall is Spiderpig?
Back to top Go down
http://alandreher.blogspot.com
Sean Rubin
Sean Rubin

PostSubject: Re: SpiderPig Exists!   SpiderPig Exists! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 5:15 pm

Alan Dreher wrote:
Sean Rubin wrote:
Jeff L wrote:

the drum is massive, yes, but the teeth are relatively close to the ground... It will probably break the suction, throw it backwards and slightly up. Damage wise, I am not sure... May be tons of damage. May be only average damage.

How tall is Spiderpig?

I don't know exactly. I am not on that team. I think it is 2.5" tho. Maybe a little less.
Back to top Go down
Alan Dreher
great contributor
great contributor

People Skills : 5732

PostSubject: Re: SpiderPig Exists!   SpiderPig Exists! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 5:23 pm

Sean Rubin wrote:
Alan Dreher wrote:
Sean Rubin wrote:
Jeff L wrote:

How tall is Spiderpig?

I don't know exactly. I am not on that team. I think it is 2.5" tho. Maybe a little less.
It will definitely catch at least a fair piece of the bot. I THINK it is about an inch or so off the ground at its lowest. Dan can correct me. I am more the Dethinator team... Being new to the club, I didn't really get to work with Copperhead a whole lot, and this year most of the work on it was just upgrading pieces that had already been established.
Back to top Go down
http://alandreher.blogspot.com
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

PostSubject: Re: SpiderPig Exists!   SpiderPig Exists! - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 5:34 pm

The wheels are 2 7/8", so 2.5" is about right for the chassis. For Copperhead I would expect hits to the upper edge of the armor (the drum spins too fast to get closer and hit anywhere else), resulting in a force vector with a much greater horizontal component than vertical. This [the vertical component] will have a levering effect with a pivot point at around the center of SpiderPig (yay symmetrical construction), making flipping the robot outright very difficult. The horizontal component will try to push SpiderPig backwards. Now, either one of two things are most likely to happen: Spiderpig has decent-sized chips taken out of the upper edge of its armor, and skids backwards without loosing its vacuum seal. The alternative is it turns out to be more of a dent in the armor and SpiderPig is knocked up a bit, but not as far as it is pushed back. Depends on what kind of steel is being used in the armor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SpiderPig Exists!   SpiderPig Exists! - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SpiderPig Exists!
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next