Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

kinetic energy battery

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dan Curhan
Admin
Dan Curhan

People Skills : 6369
Registration date : 2009-03-14

kinetic energy battery Empty
PostSubject: kinetic energy battery   kinetic energy battery I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 2:03 pm

I decided to start a new thread for this. You should probably start new threads for all the ideas themselves, instead of having an idea dump thread... it makes more sense. Razz

If anyone hasn't seen the warrior skf in action, team whyachi has a pretty clear demo of it. I have no idea how much the thing it's flipping weighs, but the chips it takes out of the floor say that it's fairly heavy lol
Back to top Go down
http://666bots.blogspot.com/
Dan Curhan
Admin
Dan Curhan

People Skills : 6369

PostSubject: Re: kinetic energy battery   kinetic energy battery I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 2:04 pm

quoting jeff here:

Kinetic Energy Batteries

Ever since we saw the first video of Warrior SKF, a Team Whyachi robot, we wanted to make our own version. Warrior SKF is a spinner that can harness the stored energy in its spinning ring to activate a flipper, throwing heavyweight robots six feet into the air (or more). The advantages of such a design are obvious: all the power of spinning weapons, with the precise control of spring/pneumatic/electric weapons. Our first attempt was X-Revolution, which used a three pound section off of some part of a jet engine as the spinning shell. It was also to use a flipper, which was a variant of X-Contamination's own flipper. Unfortunately, since we didn't have any good way to lock the flipper into the shell, it didn't work.

More recently, I've put some work into the concept and have something sitting in CAD that I think would work properly. It's a drum enclosed inside the robot, with a shaft that comes into contact with it and is pushed linearly (I'll find some screen shots and put them up here to clarify). The main disadvantages with my design are the potential for the shaft to break (I have no idea whether it would be able to hold up to being struck by the drum), complexity of the whole assembly (it requires a small microcontroller and sensors to properly time its operation), and the assembly's size. Still, I think it has a reasonable chance of working.
Back to top Go down
http://666bots.blogspot.com/
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

People Skills : 6577

PostSubject: Re: kinetic energy battery   kinetic energy battery I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 3:06 pm

I've got another idea for the whole "Idea Dump" thing: the idea dump remains as a location for less fleshed-out concepts, while an idea that warrants actually being used and built gets its own thread.

Oh, and YouTube has a pretty disgusting video of Warrior SKF in an actual match. I'll see if I can find it again, I think it was on Warrior SKF's buildersdb page.
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

People Skills : 6577

PostSubject: Re: kinetic energy battery   kinetic energy battery I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 2:49 pm

Totally Awesome Warrior Video:

Yes, that is a heavyweight being thrown into the air.

My Assembly:

View 1:
kinetic energy battery Assembly2

View 2:
kinetic energy battery Assembly1
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7814
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: kinetic energy battery   kinetic energy battery I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 3:30 pm

Wow two absolutely crazy bots, i wanna build a melty brain like cyclonebot, but i dont have to much knowledge of the technology.
Warrior is a very impressive bot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: kinetic energy battery   kinetic energy battery I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

kinetic energy battery
Page 1 of 1