Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

12 pound melty = 40k joules

Go down 
+6
Frisco
Koolaid64
Jeff L
jeeves_m_d
Cody
rjw
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

People Skills : 7765
Registration date : 2009-03-31

12 pound melty = 40k joules - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12 pound melty = 40k joules   12 pound melty = 40k joules - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 10:43 am

A melty can be a fairly easy build...not a whole lot to it....

I will be at our Belen event tomorrow for most of the daylight hours....so anytime after wards...I'll be around.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: 12 pound melty = 40k joules   12 pound melty = 40k joules - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 12:35 pm

Oh ya??? well then where is it?

Come on, get off the friggin net and finish up , and then shoot some video......You've practically been babied thru the whole ordeal, now we need to see results.... Laughing

do it, do it, let's see it....man you are so slow.... Razz
Back to top Go down
Jamo_G

Jamo_G

People Skills : 5434
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: 12 pound melty = 40k joules   12 pound melty = 40k joules - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 9:21 am

I just read through some of this stuff, and I'll have to disagree with the "as compact as possible" statement. Spinners get their power from mass and radius. If we shrink radius, we might end up with an better robot structurally, but we reduce the amount of mass on the radius making it less effective at dishing out hits. compact height, sounds like a better solution. But that comes at the cost of smaller wheel diameter, so motor rpms must be increased to compensate for the lesser circumference. Then there is inrunner brushless torque (or lack thereof unless sensored $$$), wheel placement relative to the width of the frame, power:size ratio of motors...

I'd bargain for a hallow center melty with some asymmetrical knocker arrangement.

MOI FTW

anyway...
-Jamo
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

People Skills : 6575
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: 12 pound melty = 40k joules   12 pound melty = 40k joules - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 9:27 am

Jamo_G wrote:
I just read through some of this stuff, and I'll have to disagree with the "as compact as possible" statement. Spinners get their power from mass and radius. If we shrink radius, we might end up with an better robot structurally, but we reduce the amount of mass on the radius making it less effective at dishing out hits. compact height, sounds like a better solution. But that comes at the cost of smaller wheel diameter, so motor rpms must be increased to compensate for the lesser circumference. Then there is inrunner brushless torque (or lack thereof unless sensored $$$), wheel placement relative to the width of the frame, power:size ratio of motors...

I'd bargain for a hallow center melty with some asymmetrical knocker arrangement.

MOI FTW

anyway...
-Jamo

Compact =/= Small OD

EDIT:
We agree on the point about reducing the overall height, but I said nothing about shrinking the other dimensions of the robot. You did miss my comments about having a separate enclosure of greater thickness for just the motors & wheels, which solves the RPM issue at the cost of increased machining complexity.
Back to top Go down
Jamo_G

Jamo_G

People Skills : 5434
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: 12 pound melty = 40k joules   12 pound melty = 40k joules - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 3:42 am

Jeff L wrote:

The fastest way to both of those [in a design built from scratch] is removing all unnecessary air space on the inside of the chassis; ... limiting overall space used is normal practice in battlebot design already for obvious reasons.

quote was to illustrate where I thought smaller diameter was suggested.

compact == limiting overall space used -> smallest diameter and height as possible

It doesn't directly equal small OD, but it is implied. Can you describe this separate enclosure? I don't understand how it will solve the RPM issue. It sounds like a solution to increase robot mass, but its not optimized if it's in the center.

-Jamo

OT: how does robojackets have enough money to build 2 hobbies? we didnt even have enough to finish a middleweight
Back to top Go down
Frisco
super contributor
super contributor

People Skills : 5714
Registration date : 2009-11-01

PostSubject: Re: 12 pound melty = 40k joules   12 pound melty = 40k joules - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 9:48 am

JAMO,

I agree with that.....

I think batteries and Electronics inside and the rest of the weight on the outer...

Also, Keep everything as light as you can without giving up too much with breakage...

Dont put all of the weight on the knocker as it will unbalance the bot on hits and throw you around more...

Put most of the weight on the +90 Degree end past the knocker so the impact has a good hit and the weight past the impact keeps you from flying around so much

FRISCO
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

People Skills : 6575
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: 12 pound melty = 40k joules   12 pound melty = 40k joules - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 3:12 pm

I'll have to show Jamo a basic sketch of what I've thought up, but a good description so far is as follows: the robot is comprised of 3-4 major sections: the electronics enclosure, two drive enclosures, and an exterior ring where the knocker and any remaining mass sits. The electronics enclosure is the super-thin part which the drive enclosures are affixed to (dovetails & bolts, with some openings to route wires to the motors). The drive enclosures are made to fit whatever size motor you want, the belt & pulleys, and a wheel.
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: 12 pound melty = 40k joules   12 pound melty = 40k joules - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 9:01 pm

Actually, I thought that the layout of Double Trouble was pretty good. Balance was dead on, and it weighed maybe an ounce under.

Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: 12 pound melty = 40k joules   12 pound melty = 40k joules - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 10:49 am

I hope that others do attempt to build meltys in the near future.

They may be very surprised by the results or lack thereof.

It's all nice and fine to talk about where to place stuff, how thick or thin to make it, etc. but there isn't a whole lot of wiggle room, unless you want a simple round tube with knocker(s).

A whole bunch of separate enclosures bolted/dovetailed together sounds great in theory, but at least to me, it sounds like a nightmare as far as rigidity, balance, etc. and will probably sacrifice a lot of energy for no real other gain.

Prove me wrong....build something other than a clone of my belt drive asymmetricals and kick some robutt...

There are plenty of other options that seem very workable....lets see someone else move it forward....

Last edited by rjw on Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: 12 pound melty = 40k joules   12 pound melty = 40k joules - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 10:56 am

Not at all.... at least not from me.

But we need some action , not just talk....

How's the melty going...O-ring?
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: 12 pound melty = 40k joules   12 pound melty = 40k joules - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 11:06 am

am I missing something, or do you not have power to the rx?
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: 12 pound melty = 40k joules   12 pound melty = 40k joules - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 11:16 am

I hope that you are not missing the boat anywhere.

While it might be tempting to supply more than 5volts to the Baby o board etc, remember that while the baby O has an on board stepdown to 5v, what goes to your led wil be full battery voltage, unless you only power the whole show with a bec or other form of stepdown.

Not my idea. just some advice from Rich, when I was at your stage and asking questions. The circuit is simple, just stick to it, at least to get up and running.

Then you'll feel like a BIG Strong Non O-ring and you can blow stuff up with authority.... affraid
Back to top Go down
Frisco
super contributor
super contributor

People Skills : 5714

PostSubject: Re: 12 pound melty = 40k joules   12 pound melty = 40k joules - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 11:35 am

RJ,

I have too many new designs going as it is.... After I help the kids get them done then I will get going on a Melty design......

That is kinda why i have not been asking a whole lot about info on these yet....

Too much on the plate at one time is a waste of knowledge.....

Hopefully we can complete the new designs by Mid January and I can get 6 weeks to throw a melty together for my son for NERC...

FRISCO
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: 12 pound melty = 40k joules   12 pound melty = 40k joules - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 11:48 am

do it, invite friends, buy marshmallows, take video....have fun
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7812
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: 12 pound melty = 40k joules   12 pound melty = 40k joules - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 1:00 pm

rjw wrote:

will you be able to provide a way to roast these marshmallows?!
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: 12 pound melty = 40k joules   12 pound melty = 40k joules - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 2:12 pm

Cody Harris wrote:
rjw wrote:

will you be able to provide a way to roast these marshmallows?!

It was directed at O-ring, but Frisco snuck in with a post in between.....

Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: 12 pound melty = 40k joules   12 pound melty = 40k joules - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 10:49 pm

Small but decent melty update...

I took 3 bots to a small local demo event this evening.

The 1 pound melty just wacked a bunch of stuff around, but it performed well.

Sting, my 3 pound drumbot fought a 15 pound wedge that was resurected from the dead......match ended when Sting went under the 15 and ripped a power wire off......

My 12 pound melty, with some special shock absorbing padding managed to trash a bunch of stuff, deform the arena a bit , where bracing was questionable and the good news is that it still runs....

So, perhaps the self- knockout disease is old news.....Might be able to move the R & D forward in the near future!!!

Hope to see a 120 melty one day soon
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5932
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: 12 pound melty = 40k joules   12 pound melty = 40k joules - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 8:03 pm

Saw this 12 lb Melty and it scared the heck out of me! That thing really hits like a ton of bricks--the arena was just barely up to the challenge, and needed frequent repair every time rjw ran it.

I do NOT want' to fight that sucker.
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: 12 pound melty = 40k joules   12 pound melty = 40k joules - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 12:16 am

rdubard wrote:
Saw this 12 lb Melty and it scared the heck out of me! That thing really hits like a ton of bricks--the arena was just barely up to the challenge, and needed frequent repair every time rjw ran it.

I do NOT want' to fight that sucker.

Every team should build one...then we could have a 'clash of the melties'

Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: 12 pound melty = 40k joules   12 pound melty = 40k joules - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 12:34 am

Just tell me how and I'll get started on ours Razz
Back to top Go down
Stephen
super contributor
super contributor
Stephen

People Skills : 5615

PostSubject: Re: 12 pound melty = 40k joules   12 pound melty = 40k joules - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 12:49 am

rj do u have any videos of ur melty
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WestMifflinRobotics
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: 12 pound melty = 40k joules   12 pound melty = 40k joules - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 12:49 am

Creeper wrote:

First thing...find a BIG sledge hammer......
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: 12 pound melty = 40k joules   12 pound melty = 40k joules - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 12:51 am

Stephen wrote:
rj do u have any videos of ur melty

try Youtube

search for

Double trouble
spinning tortoise
along wiht combat robots

Probably some links on this forum as well
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: 12 pound melty = 40k joules   12 pound melty = 40k joules - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 1:04 am

rjw wrote:
Creeper wrote:

Lol isnt this the route carolton went with their melty? haha
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: 12 pound melty = 40k joules   12 pound melty = 40k joules - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 1:12 am

Creeper wrote:
rjw wrote:
Creeper wrote:

Lol isnt this the route carolton went with their melty? haha

I don't think that it really was a melty.....

btw: what's with you guys and the identity changes??

did I miss something?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 12 pound melty = 40k joules   12 pound melty = 40k joules - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

12 pound melty = 40k joules
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next