Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

PAX Event?

Go down 
4 posters

Would you attend a battlebots competition at PAX East?
Yes, I would attend
PAX Event? I_vote_lcap20%PAX Event? I_vote_rcap
 20% [ 2 ]
I would bring an ant/beetle
PAX Event? I_vote_lcap10%PAX Event? I_vote_rcap
 10% [ 1 ]
I would bring a hobbyweight/mini
 20% [ 2 ]
I would bring a 120
 20% [ 2 ]
No, I would not attend
PAX Event? I_vote_lcap0%PAX Event? I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
It's too far away
 20% [ 2 ]
It's at the wrong time of the year
PAX Event? I_vote_lcap10%PAX Event? I_vote_rcap
 10% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

People Skills : 6568
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PAX Event? Empty
PostSubject: PAX Event?   PAX Event? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 12:15 am

I just had an interesting idea about a possible new competition venue, and I wanted to see that if said hypothetical venue became a little more "real" if anyone would be interested. As some of you may know, PAX - the Penny Arcade Expo [2009] - started today yesterday in Seattle, Washington. There will be another PAX, PAX East, in March in Boston. For those of you who don't know what PAX is all about, it's basically a Gaming expo for fans by fans (more details here), and by gaming I don't just mean video games. Basically if you could conceive of a form of entertainment for us nerd/geek folk, it's there. Seeing as killer robots fits squarely into that category, I thought it might be cool if there was a competition at one of the two PAX events. Of course I am aware that there are some considerable logistics involved in setting up a tournament, but battlebots would fit very very well with this event, which is why I've bothered to post this.

That said, it hardly matters if the arena and other equipment is set up and organizers spend time and resources to organize it if no one attends. So, my question is: Would you attend a battlebots competition at PAX East [in Boston]? (Pick Yes or No, then what you'd bring/a reason; see poll options for weight class options, and you can vote for as many options as you would like)

Additionally, Mr. T pities the fool who votes for both "yes" and "no" options. Anything more complex can be discussed in this thread.
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5925
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PAX Event? Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAX Event?   PAX Event? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 2:29 pm

Without answering yet. . . This date is likely to be too close to BBIQ Nationals for us, but then again, we never know the date or location for Nats until December or so, which makes it too early to even guess.
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

PAX Event? Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAX Event?   PAX Event? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 3:15 pm

Yeah, timing is one important thing to consider. RoboJackets actually dropped attending BotsIQ events because they always got scheduled during our finals week, so they switched over to attending RoboGames in June. I know we're interested in attending more competitions than just RoboGames though, depending on whether or not the new 120 is going to be ready for other competitions.
Back to top Go down
Dan Curhan
Admin
Dan Curhan

People Skills : 6360

PAX Event? Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAX Event?   PAX Event? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 1:49 am

pittsburgh is like 9 hours from boston... :/
if it was 4 or 5 i'd do it with something small, provided i had something small to bring along...
Back to top Go down
http://666bots.blogspot.com/
jeeves_m_d
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
jeeves_m_d

People Skills : 6044
Registration date : 2009-04-21

PAX Event? Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAX Event?   PAX Event? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 8:53 pm

has this been discussed with the event organizers?
Back to top Go down
http://lsrobotics.blogspot.com
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

PAX Event? Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAX Event?   PAX Event? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 10:59 pm

jeeves_m_d wrote:
has this been discussed with the event organizers?
No - the point of this is to figure out if it's worth discussing with the organizers. If there are no competitors, why hold a competition?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PAX Event? Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAX Event?   PAX Event? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PAX Event?
Page 1 of 1