Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

BotsIQ Prelims

Go down 
+11
Frisco
jtm94
jakerheimer
Stephen
Don Doerfler
SenaiERI
rdubard
turtle
Koolaid64
MikeNCR
Cody
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7814
Registration date : 2009-03-16

BotsIQ Prelims - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BotsIQ Prelims   BotsIQ Prelims - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 4:35 pm

turtle wrote:
Haha Cody I have never seen anyone get in as many heated battles on the Internet as you. As for my opinion in the argument it does suck when a team has to face eachother my opinion has been we decide who is more likely to succeed where and do an immediate tap instead of wasting everyones time with a pushing match or risking knocking one of us out of the competition completely. For the finals if it ever happens all bets are off same goes if both bots have one loss. And I think we all put a ridiculous amount of time building these robots so puffing your chest out an saying I spent more time doing this is pointless. And at least for us this is an educational club so the main purpose is to teach kids about everything to do with designing and building a bot so if we win it's just a bonus.

I don't try for arguments just discussions haha
I was a dick to you guys though lol sorry

Thats what we have done the past few years and they actually changed the rules so we can no longer do that (one of the many they've changed because of us)
Back to top Go down
turtle
big contributor
big contributor

People Skills : 5045
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: BotsIQ Prelims   BotsIQ Prelims - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 4:42 pm

So they just expect you to go full bore on each other no matter what. Personally I think that's unfair I could see a rule against a pushing match between two weaponed bots because iv seen that a lot and it's just a waste of time in my opinion the tap out saves everyone time and energy. Or do you just have to not tap and they're encouraging a pushing match?

And don't worry about the acting like a dick thing in the past so no worries I wasn't exactly nice either haha.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: BotsIQ Prelims   BotsIQ Prelims - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 5:34 pm

We've had pushing matches and we've tapped out before fights.
We only did a pusing match once I think, it was the last match of our prelim bracket and the one kids only had driven in 2 or 3 matches so it was arena time for him. Suprisingly it was one of the best pushing matches I think I've ever seen, our bots are fast and there was even sparks

After we've won the competition the past 4 years (1st&3rd two years ago, 1st,2nd&3rd last year) they decide to change the bracket system and adopt a Grand Champion award.
The bracket system puts the top bots against each other in the first round, eliminating most of them in the begining rounds. THis isnt really a big deal if you have confidence in your bots going through both brackets.
The biggest problem that everyone has is with the points system with the Grand Champion award.
The give 50 points for a win, 10 for a lose and 5 for appearence. You get the same amount of points whether winners bracket or losers. If your seeded 2nd or 3rd you'll get more fights then 1st or 4th(so more points) and if you go into the losers bracket you will also have more fights then staying in the winners bracket.
They also have a rule that if you forefeit against someone you don't get any points but if you forfeit to your own school you actually have points taken away from total score. There is a non-aggression clause thats include with this too
Back to top Go down
turtle
big contributor
big contributor

People Skills : 5045
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: BotsIQ Prelims   BotsIQ Prelims - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 5:40 pm

ShamWOW! those are fast what do you use for drive motors if you don't mind me asking. And do you guys design and build new bots every year advance a previous design or just rebuild anything that was wrecked based on the same design?
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: BotsIQ Prelims   BotsIQ Prelims - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 6:12 pm

Banebots 36mm 25:1 with 545.
We have designed and built atleast one new bot every year for the past 6 years. I could go into what bots we've designed and built every year but that theres a good bit and you probably dont care that much.
Last year they had enough people/ alex designed and built his own bot so two new bots were designed and built while Still 'N Shock fought for its second year.
In the past six years six bots have been designed and we've built 8 bots. None of or bots have ever fought two years in the same trim and always have had some kind of modification from its earlier version.

This year plum fought a newly built atomic from left over parts (since Alex has the original) and the shocker was designed and built
Back to top Go down
Frisco
super contributor
super contributor

People Skills : 5716
Registration date : 2009-11-01

PostSubject: Re: BotsIQ Prelims   BotsIQ Prelims - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 9:10 pm

I guess I will put a stop to the pissing match going on here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Josh and Cody and Alex and anyone else that wants to say something all have valid points on their behalf.... Notice I said on their behalf !

I was the one behind talking to the committee last week to make changes to the original bracket posted and points system that was supposed to be used.

I did this because there were several teams that called or emailed me asking what was going on with the way teams were placed in the brackets and they and I seen that the brackets and points system did not make sense.

Basically, If you look up a seeded, double elimination, 12 team tournament bracket; the changes they made are exactly what you will find.

Since they split the 48 teams into 4 groups (which I think everyone agrees with) you will get an offset bracket. (you need 16 teams per group to make it a no Bye bracket).

With Byes, the posted points system is flawed.

The committee did listen to reason so that anyone who says they are wrong is wrong theirselves.

Yes teams might have to fight each other in the first round but the brackets are what the committee said it was holding a seeded finals tournament.

The changes that are being made to the points system are a needed change in order to even up points of teams that have a bye and teams that move through the losers bracket.

The committee always tries to please everyone as much as possible.

Some people will agree with the changes and some will disagree.

I think that more people were looking at the 2 vs 3 vs 1 way and saying what the heck.... I have never seen a bracket done this way.

You will probably see a blind draw in the future as I told them that is the only way you will please everyone. They pick where they will be. Also, you will probably see bonus points awarded to the top 5 finishers in the preliminaries as an incentive for having a better show and better fights there.

Last but not least................

QUIT BITCHIN .....

SHUT UP AND JUST FIGHT THE DARN ROBOTS !!!!!!

Frisco
Back to top Go down
Alex P. HASD Bots
great contributor
great contributor
Alex P. HASD Bots

People Skills : 5013
Registration date : 2011-03-30

PostSubject: Re: BotsIQ Prelims   BotsIQ Prelims - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 9:59 pm

Quick Question
As far as getting a buy, the teams that placed higher in the prelims are the ones who recieved the buys correct
Back to top Go down
Don Doerfler
super contributor
super contributor
Don Doerfler

People Skills : 5639
Registration date : 2009-12-24

PostSubject: Re: BotsIQ Prelims   BotsIQ Prelims - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 10:06 pm

hard hitter wrote:
Quick Question
As far as getting a buy, the teams that placed higher in the prelims are the ones who recieved the buys correct

http://botsiqpa.org/files/winners_bracket_2011_revised_teams_in_seeded.pdf
yup
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/DoerflerRobotics?feature=mhum
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: BotsIQ Prelims   BotsIQ Prelims - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 10:29 pm

Blind seeding is a MUCH better way to go here.
Thanks for putting the time and effort into trying to make this right
Back to top Go down
Don Doerfler
super contributor
super contributor
Don Doerfler

PostSubject: Re: BotsIQ Prelims   BotsIQ Prelims - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 12:04 am

Dony D wrote:

pause at 0:16 whos bot is that
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: BotsIQ Prelims   BotsIQ Prelims - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 1:41 am

Alex wrote:
Admiral Perry
They owned the freshman bracket
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: BotsIQ Prelims   BotsIQ Prelims - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 10:44 am

bahaha noobs
Back to top Go down
Stephen
super contributor
super contributor
Stephen

People Skills : 5617

PostSubject: Re: BotsIQ Prelims   BotsIQ Prelims - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 11:18 am

yah that was a really weird drum design
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WestMifflinRobotics
Koolaid64
mega contributor
mega contributor
Koolaid64

People Skills : 5930
Registration date : 2009-07-05

PostSubject: Re: BotsIQ Prelims   BotsIQ Prelims - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 11:33 am

so does anyone have a Photobucket (or something similar) dump of pictures from this event? i would like to scroll through it
Back to top Go down
Frisco
super contributor
super contributor

People Skills : 5716

PostSubject: Re: BotsIQ Prelims   BotsIQ Prelims - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 1:03 pm

I was waiting till the finals as all of the bots will be there and I can get them all at once.

Alex probably has the most..

There is also a photobucket account from the Bots IQ PA website that is linked that has photos from all of the past years.

Not too many good pics of the bots on there though. Mostly behind the scenes, teams, fights and awards.

Frisco
Back to top Go down
jtm94
great contributor
great contributor
jtm94

People Skills : 5381
Registration date : 2010-04-23

PostSubject: Re: BotsIQ Prelims   BotsIQ Prelims - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 12:08 am

The Black Mamba was a mean robot, but it was really high maintenance and they scrambled after every match to get it back up and running.
BotsIQ Prelims - Page 4 SDC10107
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: BotsIQ Prelims   BotsIQ Prelims - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 12:22 am

weapon to weapon, you bend the wedge across the front, jams into the drum, TKO
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: BotsIQ Prelims   BotsIQ Prelims - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 1:11 am

are you finally using your block of aluminum for something
Back to top Go down
MikeNCR
super contributor
super contributor
MikeNCR

People Skills : 5834
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: BotsIQ Prelims   BotsIQ Prelims - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 1:35 am

Hmm, well, at a minimum, if someone drops a screw in the robot you'll know where to look for it.
Back to top Go down
http://nearchaos.net
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: BotsIQ Prelims   BotsIQ Prelims - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 2:03 am

Alex wrote:
Cody wrote:
are you finally using your block of aluminum for something

That isn't aluminum!

Muhaha!

What was I thinking.
At only $300 you should use 2, 500+lb pull force is just not enough! ($530 is a good deal for two too)
Back to top Go down
Koolaid64
mega contributor
mega contributor
Koolaid64

People Skills : 5930
Registration date : 2009-07-05

PostSubject: Re: BotsIQ Prelims   BotsIQ Prelims - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 9:13 am

live shaft! =p
Back to top Go down
Don Doerfler
super contributor
super contributor
Don Doerfler

PostSubject: Re: BotsIQ Prelims   BotsIQ Prelims - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 3:21 pm

Alex wrote:
Cody wrote:
weapon to weapon, you bend the wedge across the front, jams into the drum, TKO

Or just use this!

BotsIQ Prelims - Page 4 BZX0Y0X0-N52L

Coming soon to a Plum robot near you!
magnet?
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: BotsIQ Prelims   BotsIQ Prelims - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 9:32 pm

BotsIQ PA Top Ten Hits voting
Back to top Go down
Koensig

People Skills : 4906
Registration date : 2011-02-25

PostSubject: Re: BotsIQ Prelims   BotsIQ Prelims - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 10:21 pm

me neither
Back to top Go down
Don Doerfler
super contributor
super contributor
Don Doerfler

PostSubject: Re: BotsIQ Prelims   BotsIQ Prelims - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 10:25 pm

works for me
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BotsIQ Prelims   BotsIQ Prelims - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BotsIQ Prelims
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next