Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Electric 1/8th scale drag car serpent 950r spec

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Evan Steeves
great contributor
great contributor

People Skills : 5120
Registration date : 2011-02-05

Electric 1/8th scale drag car serpent 950r spec Empty
PostSubject: Electric 1/8th scale drag car serpent 950r spec   Electric 1/8th scale drag car serpent 950r spec I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 6:01 pm

So A wonderful piece of rc history popped onto my desk last week and after looking at i could not say no so lets get this project moving

first off this is a track car designed for a .21 nitro engine not a slow car by any means but more oriented to make corners at 70 mph than go in a straight line.

What separates this from other rc vehicles however for speed runs is a few major components:

Front blade swaybar can be preloaded to minimize front wheel ripple or "parachuting" when a pebble upsets the chassis balance at high speed.

Dual rear swaybars: adjustable torsion bar with pivot ball mounts for smooth operation, and the second swaybar is incorporated into the rear shock tower and body mount, it ties into the suspension arms at the furthest leverage point to allow down force to be made on the opposing wheel with the most down travel taking the load off of the anti squat down stops and moving the chassis's roll center onto the wheel with the most grip making for a very fast take off with minimal scrub during on power corners.

As for the drive system it uses three belts the front and center belt are 7mm wide and the rear is 8mm
it uses a solid axle in the rear to help straight line acceleration and a front one way spool to help off power steering

The component lists for this toy are going to be:

castle 1410 3800kv motor
thunderpower 4400 mah 65c 4 cell
hobbywing 80 amp esc
hitec 645mg steering servo
32 shoar foam rear tires
37 shoar foam front tires

detail pics will be posted tonight of the chassis sub assemblies.
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
great contributor
great contributor

People Skills : 5120
Registration date : 2011-02-05

Electric 1/8th scale drag car serpent 950r spec Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric 1/8th scale drag car serpent 950r spec   Electric 1/8th scale drag car serpent 950r spec I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 2:18 am

Here's some photos from the past few days

After a good cleaning...

Electric 1/8th scale drag car serpent 950r spec Serpent1

Crazy spring steel blade swaybar with integrated droop screws.

Electric 1/8th scale drag car serpent 950r spec Serpent2

I dug out some scrap polycarb from the bin and tapped three m3 screws 10mm deep the mount is half inch thick and mounts 5 of the 6 holes on the motors face.

Electric 1/8th scale drag car serpent 950r spec Serpent3

Three m3 holes drilled and tapped in the 5mm thick 7075 chassis hold the motor

Electric 1/8th scale drag car serpent 950r spec Serpent4

I bolted two axial ax10 slipper hubs together and face mounted a kimbrough rc10gt 32 pitch spur gear. I slotted one of the axial hubs to capture a 8x2mm pin cut from drill rod, the hubs were drilled out to 6mm to fit the larger serpent primary shaft.

heres a top view of the assembly

Electric 1/8th scale drag car serpent 950r spec Serpent5

And a front view of both 32 pitch gears meshing nicely with no motor mount adjustment Very Happy

Electric 1/8th scale drag car serpent 950r spec Serpent6

Heres the rough electronics layout with nothing bolted down just playing some component tetris for now.

Electric 1/8th scale drag car serpent 950r spec Serpent7
Back to top Go down

Electric 1/8th scale drag car serpent 950r spec
Page 1 of 1