Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

CuddleBunny

Go down 
+2
Cody
Sean Rubin
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Sean Rubin
Prezerdent of Sexxi Cuddlemen
Sean Rubin

People Skills : 5953
Registration date : 2009-03-16

CuddleBunny Empty
PostSubject: CuddleBunny   CuddleBunny I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 8:44 pm

Two decisions for you guys to help me make for my 15 lb vacuum robot.

1. How should I armor my wheels? I was thinking aluminum connected to the frame by he use of angles. Or a sliver of spring steel curved around the wheels.

2. How should I connect my plow if i want it invertible? My first idea was using hinge...but that could be easily ripped off. And then after seeing Rattler at the Youth Fair I thought that that was great idea. Their idea was to cut a rectangular hole (it is verticle) and have a loosely fit screw in it so that the plow can move up or down dependiing on if it is upside down or not.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7824

CuddleBunny Empty
PostSubject: Re: CuddleBunny   CuddleBunny I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 8:56 pm

number two is a good idea lol i had actually thought about doing it before the miami competition, then kinda chuckled when they started it towards us.
Its not so much a loose screw, but a shoulder head screw.
Back to top Go down
Sean Rubin
Sean Rubin

CuddleBunny Empty
PostSubject: Re: CuddleBunny   CuddleBunny I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 8:58 pm

What is a shoulder head screw?
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

CuddleBunny Empty
PostSubject: Re: CuddleBunny   CuddleBunny I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 9:03 pm

Err i guess its just shoulder screw but basically a screw with threads like half way up or so haha
CuddleBunny 279s
Back to top Go down
Sean Rubin
Sean Rubin

CuddleBunny Empty
PostSubject: Re: CuddleBunny   CuddleBunny I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 9:06 pm

Wow. That actually looks really cool. How much do they run for?
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

CuddleBunny Empty
PostSubject: Re: CuddleBunny   CuddleBunny I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 9:11 pm

pretty close to the same as a normal screw i believe, you have to be careful doing this though because of what you said with the hinge
Your only going to be holding it on by the diameter of the head of maybe three or so screws, and when facing a drum bot, which youll be using the plow against obviously there is the possibility of sheared screws
hence why we didnt do it
Back to top Go down
Sean Rubin
Sean Rubin

CuddleBunny Empty
PostSubject: Re: CuddleBunny   CuddleBunny I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 9:18 pm

Either way...it still would be a problem. But which do you think is a better overall idea?
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

CuddleBunny Empty
PostSubject: Re: CuddleBunny   CuddleBunny I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 9:26 pm

Id do a hinge like on good knight, it proved itself to me with the beatings that it took
They had for sections of hinge with like 4 tab things on each piece, then mounted each piece with three maybe four screws
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

People Skills : 6587
Registration date : 2009-03-14

CuddleBunny Empty
PostSubject: Re: CuddleBunny   CuddleBunny I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 9:27 pm

One possible solution is to just have two short large-diameter steel rods with holes in the ends for cotter pins. It would end up being pretty cheap, and should hold up better than most bolts or hinges.

EDIT: and by large diameter, I'm talking 1/2 inch thick, but only 1 inch long (at most).

Last edited by Jeff L on Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

People Skills : 7777
Registration date : 2009-03-31

CuddleBunny Empty
PostSubject: Re: CuddleBunny   CuddleBunny I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 9:28 pm

Sean Rubin wrote:
Two decisions for you guys to help me make for my 15 lb vacuum robot.

1. How should I armor my wheels? I was thinking aluminum connected to the frame by he use of angles. Or a sliver of spring steel curved around the wheels.

2. How should I connect my plow if i want it invertible? My first idea was using hinge...but that could be easily ripped off. And then after seeing Rattler at the Youth Fair I thought that that was great idea. Their idea was to cut a rectangular hole (it is verticle) and have a loosely fit screw in it so that the plow can move up or down dependiing on if it is upside down or not.

The floating shovel on the rattlers works pretty well against wedges, but is a disaster against a spinning drum.

We had 2 different designs. 1 used shoulder bolts as mentioned and the other was different (gen 2)

What won at the Youth fair was the powered invertable wedge. It did a great job at repelling drums and blades, as long as it was positioned on the floor.

In the only match that rattler 2 lost, the driver had the wedge raised and Lucky strike's weapon got under it and bent it quite nicely. Shortly after, 1 channel of the esc went dead and we were toast.

Good luck with it. The floating shovel is great for pushing wedges around.
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

CuddleBunny Empty
PostSubject: Re: CuddleBunny   CuddleBunny I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 9:37 pm

incase your interested
Shoulder screw from mcmaster
hehe im in this one!

ew ew ew im in this one toooo
Back to top Go down
Sean Rubin
Sean Rubin

CuddleBunny Empty
PostSubject: Re: CuddleBunny   CuddleBunny I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 9:56 pm

Is it just my geekyness...or did I hear "Still Alive" from Portal in the background of the 2nd video?
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

CuddleBunny Empty
PostSubject: Re: CuddleBunny   CuddleBunny I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 10:04 pm

Well i had to look up the song you said just to make sure but i think its jet-cold hard bitch
They played alot of good music but some of it was just wierd haha
Back to top Go down
That Guy
samurai jesus
samurai jesus
That Guy

People Skills : 6013

CuddleBunny Empty
PostSubject: Re: CuddleBunny   CuddleBunny I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 10:11 pm

here's another idea if you have the weight to do this:
Make your robot a rhombus shape from the side, so you have a wedge/plow in front and a wedge/plow in back, with the bottom of one of the wedges/plows hitting the floor at all times.
Back to top Go down
That Guy
samurai jesus
samurai jesus
That Guy

CuddleBunny Empty
PostSubject: Re: CuddleBunny   CuddleBunny I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 10:14 pm

For armoring your wheels:

a sliver of spring steel is a bad idea. Since it's so floppy and flexible and thin, if somebody pushes it up against your wheel, you'll completely shred your own wheel, that would be bad. You definitely want something rigid.
Back to top Go down
Sean Rubin
Sean Rubin

CuddleBunny Empty
PostSubject: Re: CuddleBunny   CuddleBunny I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 10:15 pm

Cody Harris wrote:
Well i had to look up the song you said just to make sure but i think its jet-cold hard bitch

it cldnt have been cold hard bitch...it was a somewhat soft song with a girl singing...
im pretty sure it was Still Alive
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

CuddleBunny Empty
PostSubject: Re: CuddleBunny   CuddleBunny I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 10:16 pm

Ive seen alot of teams using UHMV as armor now
Im not sure how it actually does, i would think you could bite better into it then al. but i just thought id throw out the idea
Back to top Go down
Sean Rubin
Sean Rubin

CuddleBunny Empty
PostSubject: Re: CuddleBunny   CuddleBunny I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 10:16 pm

godughifu wrote:
For armoring your wheels:

a sliver of spring steel is a bad idea. Since it's so floppy and flexible and thin, if somebody pushes it up against your wheel, you'll completely shred your own wheel, that would be bad. You definitely want something rigid.

Not a "sliver". I meant like a somewhat thing piece of it. Like 2 inches thick. That wont ruin my wheels.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

CuddleBunny Empty
PostSubject: Re: CuddleBunny   CuddleBunny I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 10:17 pm

Sean Rubin wrote:
Cody Harris wrote:

it cldnt have been cold hard bitch...it was a somewhat soft song with a girl singing...

Hard to tell but im pretty sure its jet haha
Back to top Go down
That Guy
samurai jesus
samurai jesus
That Guy

CuddleBunny Empty
PostSubject: Re: CuddleBunny   CuddleBunny I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 10:18 pm

Sean Rubin wrote:
Not a "sliver". I meant like a somewhat thing piece of it. Like 2 inches thick. That wont ruin my wheels.

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW HEAVY A 2 INCH THICK PIECE OF SPRING STEEL WOULD BE???!?!?!?!!?
Back to top Go down
Sean Rubin
Sean Rubin

CuddleBunny Empty
PostSubject: Re: CuddleBunny   CuddleBunny I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 10:20 pm

Dughi. I mean 2" by like 10". That is length by width. Im not gonna buy any new spring steel...jsut the stuff we have left over from trianglebot.
Back to top Go down
Dan Curhan
Admin
Dan Curhan

People Skills : 6379

CuddleBunny Empty
PostSubject: Re: CuddleBunny   CuddleBunny I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 10:22 pm

you could get titanium... i know you probably don't want to redo your design, but the rhombus shape is a good idea.
Back to top Go down
http://666bots.blogspot.com/
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

People Skills : 6587

CuddleBunny Empty
PostSubject: Re: CuddleBunny   CuddleBunny I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 10:23 pm

Sean Rubin wrote:
Cody Harris wrote:

Nope, that's not Still Alive. Still Alive has no electric guitars.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

CuddleBunny Empty
PostSubject: Re: CuddleBunny   CuddleBunny I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 10:24 pm

Argghhh i wish i even knew what this bot looked like!

And im pretty positive its jet BTW
Back to top Go down
Sean Rubin
Sean Rubin

CuddleBunny Empty
PostSubject: Re: CuddleBunny   CuddleBunny I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 10:24 pm

Dan Curhan wrote:
you could get titanium... i know you probably don't want to redo your design, but the rhombus shape is a good idea.

Im not gonna re-do my frame this year. I might next year if i want to stick with a vacuum bot. No time or money for it. My adviser got pissed at me today jsut because I asked if i could shave off the sides to fit a different gear box in. He goes on rampages like that for no reason sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

CuddleBunny Empty
PostSubject: Re: CuddleBunny   CuddleBunny I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CuddleBunny
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Battlebots :: Bots :: Design-
Jump to: