Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

The Idea Dump

Go down 
+11
MikeNCR
jeeves_m_d
MattTavares
Julien Kuzniarek
Will Bales
That Guy
Sean Rubin
Dan Curhan
Alan Dreher
Cody
Jeff L
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

People Skills : 6588
Registration date : 2009-03-14

The Idea Dump - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 11:19 pm

That one in particular was a gigantic, disengageable worm gear with a ridiculously large pitch. I haven't touched the CAD files in a loooooooooong time though. Personally, I have an immense distrust of using chain for any kind of power transmission where you're going to have a huge impulse (big force applied over a tiny space of time); most chains couldn't handle the forces and would just shear apart at the pins.

On the topic of drive systems, there are a few different options. Of course you mentioned the two most common drive configurations (both are tank-drive layouts, so named because of how their steering works), which are popular because of their durability and low cost. Other drive systems used in battlebots are Omnidirectional drives (which allow for front/back & left/right movement without turning), shufflers (halfway between a walking robot and a wheeled robot) and tank treads (which are much less frequently seen and used because they're easier to hit, are usually much heavier than wheels, and are way more complex).
Back to top Go down
rickrust

rickrust

People Skills : 4962
Registration date : 2010-10-18

PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 6:22 pm

shufflers (halfway between a walking robot and a wheeled robot)

what would that look like? the only thing I can think of would look like a spider with wheels on the end, and are there any other "heavyer duty" chains out there? they are a great way to exchange kinetic energy in a very flexible way, but i guess you could do the same with many interlocking gears, but that is more weight AND more expensive.
Back to top Go down
Koolaid64
mega contributor
mega contributor
Koolaid64

People Skills : 5941
Registration date : 2009-07-05

PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 9:23 am

shuffle bots

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 7 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Idea Dump
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7