Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

The Idea Dump

Go down 
+11
MikeNCR
jeeves_m_d
MattTavares
Julien Kuzniarek
Will Bales
That Guy
Sean Rubin
Dan Curhan
Alan Dreher
Cody
Jeff L
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

People Skills : 6588
Registration date : 2009-03-14

The Idea Dump - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 3:18 pm

Electric Crusher

This isn't the most common weapon type in combat robot circles, but it has an excellent track record. Usually driven by hydraulics or pneumatics, smaller versions are possible using electric motors. One variant I came up with a while ago used some of the lessons learned from X-Contamination to build a crusher arm. The intended drive system was one to four high-rpm motors, geared down to sixty RPM as a maximum, driving the linkage system of the crusher arm. The arm itself would be made of either titanium or hardened steel. As an optional add-on, either a carbide tip or a Ferrium C69 tip could be designed into the crusher's point.

This is an extremely feasible design, just not commonly built. In fact, I think a hobbyweight crusher was entered in Motorama a few years ago.
Back to top Go down
Sean Rubin
Prezerdent of Sexxi Cuddlemen
Sean Rubin

People Skills : 5954
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 9:48 pm

Emissary42 wrote:
Electric Crusher

This isn't the most common weapon type in combat robot circles, but it has an excellent track record. Usually driven by hydraulics or pneumatics, smaller versions are possible using electric motors. One variant I came up with a while ago used some of the lessons learned from X-Contamination to build a crusher arm. The intended drive system was one to four high-rpm motors, geared down to sixty RPM as a maximum, driving the linkage system of the crusher arm. The arm itself would be made of either titanium or hardened steel. As an optional add-on, either a carbide tip or a Ferrium C69 tip could be designed into the crusher's point.

This is an extremely feasible design, just not commonly built. In fact, I think a hobbyweight crusher was entered in Motorama a few years ago.

i think the only successful electric crusher has been x-contamination. let me know if im wrong...
so i can see why it isnt commonly made. drums have been at the top for a few years now...
Back to top Go down
That Guy
samurai jesus
samurai jesus
That Guy

People Skills : 6014

PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 9:51 pm

CuddleBunny wrote:

i think the only successful electric crusher has been x-contamination. let me know if im wrong...
so i can see why it isnt commonly made. drums have been at the top for a few years now...

I'm pretty sure X-contamination isn't a crusher, it's a flipper. A crusher is the opposite of a flipper, it "crushes" by trying to puncture the other robot by pushing down where as X-Contamination flipped by pulling up. right?
Back to top Go down
Sean Rubin
Sean Rubin

PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 9:58 pm

Didn't x-contamination do both?
Back to top Go down
That Guy
samurai jesus
samurai jesus
That Guy

PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 10:01 pm

No, I don't think so.
Back to top Go down
Sean Rubin
Sean Rubin

PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 10:08 pm

hmmm...w/e. from the videos ive seen it seems that way.
Back to top Go down
Dan Curhan
Admin
Dan Curhan

People Skills : 6380

PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 10:15 pm

do you guys remember the puerto rican bot that picked up its opponent and put it ON TOP of a lowered arena hammer? I want to do something like that, where it's a pincer bot that holds the opponent, then a super-powerful crusher/armor-piercing spike type thing comes down and pulverizes. Theoretically, the pincers could squeeze too... have a quick grab mode then a slow constrictive death-squeeze mode. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://666bots.blogspot.com/
That Guy
samurai jesus
samurai jesus
That Guy

PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 10:19 pm

I think it would be awesome if somebody made a robot that basically had a garbage disposal type weapon.
Back to top Go down
Dan Curhan
Admin
Dan Curhan

PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 10:21 pm

like opposing grinding toothed discs pulling in toward each other and like lobster/shrimp legs out front to feed the other bot in... I VILL EAT YOUR SOUL! MWAHAHAA!!! (like that?)
Back to top Go down
That Guy
samurai jesus
samurai jesus
That Guy

PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 10:23 pm

EXACTLY LIKE THAT!!!!!
Back to top Go down
That Guy
samurai jesus
samurai jesus
That Guy

PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 10:24 pm

And with the ridiculously overpowering paper shredder blades we found, we could do it too. those things are frickin ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Sean Rubin
Sean Rubin

PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 10:24 pm

THAT WLD BE SO COOL!!
Back to top Go down
Sean Rubin
Sean Rubin

PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 10:25 pm

i doubt thats allowed tho...its pretty much the same thing as hooking
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

People Skills : 6588

PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 10:26 pm

No, X-Contamination did not have the power to be a crusher. At one point I did make (and install) two steel "fangs" on the arm so it could possibly cause some damage or grab onto robots with large holes in their armor (such as what people usually do for weight reduction, but openings for wheels would work just as well). Even though it didn't cause actual damage to any robots beyond minor scratching, the way the point system is set up in Battlebots means X-Contamination gets a point every single time it hits the other robot with its arm (I believe it falls under 'aggression'). This is why in old videos you can see X-Contamination kept firing the arm as often as possible when its opponent was pinned under it.
Back to top Go down
That Guy
samurai jesus
samurai jesus
That Guy

PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 10:26 pm

No its not. If you're actually destroying those parts, then you can back away and you're not entangled at all, thats the goal of garbage disposal bot.
Back to top Go down
Sean Rubin
Sean Rubin

PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 10:30 pm

godughifu wrote:
No its not. If you're actually destroying those parts, then you can back away and you're not entangled at all, thats the goal of garbage disposal bot.

So...how do you make it so when you back away...the parts jsut fall out...
its gonna be stuck in it.
Back to top Go down
That Guy
samurai jesus
samurai jesus
That Guy

PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 10:31 pm

they're not there, you're basically crushing and shredding the other robot and the pieces are just flying everywhere.
Back to top Go down
Sean Rubin
Sean Rubin

PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 10:32 pm

Oh...i get it now. I thought you would shred it and then "eat" it.
Back to top Go down
Dan Curhan
Admin
Dan Curhan

PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 10:33 pm

it would have to spin kind of slowly and have a really powerful drive and feeder mechanism, then just reverse itself. Or, to totally spite the other teams, have a bucket that all crunched off parts fall into, and have a dump mechanism that just dumps it all back into the arena. Razz
Back to top Go down
That Guy
samurai jesus
samurai jesus
That Guy

PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 10:34 pm

CuddleBunny wrote:
Oh...i get it now. I thought you would shred it and then "eat" it.
Dan Curhan wrote:
it would have to spin kind of slowly and have a really powerful drive and feeder mechanism, then just reverse itself. Or, to totally spite the other teams, have a bucket that all crunched off parts fall into, and have a dump mechanism that just dumps it all back into the arena. Razz
EXACTLY.
Back to top Go down
Sean Rubin
Sean Rubin

PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 10:35 pm

Dan Curhan wrote:

thats fucking hilarious.
but just so mean.
WE SHLD DO THAT!!
Back to top Go down
That Guy
samurai jesus
samurai jesus
That Guy

PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 10:36 pm

Why do you think I brought up the paper shredder blades?
Back to top Go down
Dan Curhan
Admin
Dan Curhan

PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 10:37 pm

we ought to just team up everyone and just build stuff. for fun and competition if we're lucky. oh, to have endless amounts of time and money.....
Back to top Go down
Sean Rubin
Sean Rubin

PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 10:37 pm

Dan Curhan wrote:
we ought to just team up everyone and just build stuff. for fun and competition if we're lucky. oh, to have endless amounts of time and money.....

thats actually a really good idea. but wed have a tough time getting together and actually working on it.
Back to top Go down
That Guy
samurai jesus
samurai jesus
That Guy

PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 pm

How epic would an ALL FLORIDA TEAM be? We take like the best from the schools in Florida and we team up to build EPIC BOT and use it to rape the competition at BotsIQ.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Idea Dump   The Idea Dump - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Idea Dump
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next