Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight

Go down 
+4
jtm94
Cody
Brandon Roberts
4goodbuys2
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
jtm94
great contributor
great contributor
jtm94

People Skills : 5393
Registration date : 2010-04-23

Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight   Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 9:49 pm

Cody wrote:
shim it with tooth picks till you get the right tension
I did that once.
Back to top Go down
Brandon Roberts

Brandon Roberts

People Skills : 5221
Registration date : 2010-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight   Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 9:51 pm

can this design work with a beater bar? regardless of the type the bolt used has to take up space in its width (when turned sideways in other words the Y coordinate), so is it practical to use this design with a beater bar since their diameter spinning far outreaches the height of the robot?
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7826
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight   Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 9:52 pm

Ctown_ftw wrote:
Cody wrote:
shim it with tooth picks till you get the right tension
I did that once.

lol i've used tooth picks as shims more then once
Back to top Go down
Brandon Roberts

Brandon Roberts

PostSubject: Re: Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight   Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 9:55 pm

stay on task!....and id use a Swiss army knife toothpick, after all the Germans made Sham-wow and they build good stuff (thanks Vince), and the Swiss don't worry about war, so they can concentrate on making mean toothpicks
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight   Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 11:57 pm

Missed the beater question, you have always used an adjustable motor mount to adjust tension rather then the weapon shaft.
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

People Skills : 7779
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight   Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 10:48 am

kind of obvious, but adjustable weapon shaft sounds like a bad idea.
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
jtm94
great contributor
great contributor
jtm94

PostSubject: Re: Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight   Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 3:48 pm

rjw wrote:
kind of obvious, but adjustable weapon shaft sounds like a bad idea.
Not what we were talking about, but I think there could be a few ways to make an adjustable weapon shaft work. It would be most practical in order to use interchangeable weapons.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight   Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 4:46 pm

you could probably do it similar to how the back tire on a dirtbike is mounted and have adjustable screws to adjust tension and a threaded axle that bolts where you want it.
I wouldnt want to do it though
Back to top Go down
Brandon Roberts

Brandon Roberts

PostSubject: Re: Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight   Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 8:13 pm

as for the weapon shaft, its an overly complicated idea. interchangeable weapons would be much easier if u designed the different weapons around the shaft.

however the "dirk bike tire axle" is something we looked into today, and will most likely appear in the new bot. so thanks to everyone who talked about this and helped explain it. it completely gave us a boost because we were stuck on how to mount a front dead shaft that would be secure enough to take a strait hit
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight   Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 10:22 pm

Brandon Roberts wrote:
as for the weapon shaft, its an overly complicated idea. interchangeable weapons would be much easier if u designed the different weapons around the shaft.

however the "dirk bike tire axle" is something we looked into today, and will most likely appear in the new bot. so thanks to everyone who talked about this and helped explain it. it completely gave us a boost because we were stuck on how to mount a front dead shaft that would be secure enough to take a strait hit

A hole in each frame rail wouldnt work?! lol

edit: cause i don't proof read

Last edited by Cody on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
jtm94
great contributor
great contributor
jtm94

PostSubject: Re: Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight   Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 11:36 pm

Quote :
A whole on each frame rail wouldnt work?! lol
Don't mind him. scratch
Back to top Go down
Brandon Roberts

Brandon Roberts

PostSubject: Re: Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight   Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 12:15 am

we were sketchy on the idea =p, and cut me some slack this essay fried my brain ( James -.-)
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight   Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 12:30 am

Brandon Roberts wrote:
we were sketchy on the idea =p, and cut me some slack this essay fried my brain ( James -.-)

ha i was going to call you a nerd for doing homework on a friday and then I realized that its not friday and I've completely lost track of the days since all I've done is work over break ha
Back to top Go down
Brandon Roberts

Brandon Roberts

PostSubject: Re: Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight   Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 12:38 am

i thought today was Monday until like 4pm when i went into work, felt pretty special being that its not Monday and being so i am not on the schedule
Back to top Go down
4goodbuys2

People Skills : 4924
Registration date : 2010-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight   Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 8:04 am

I was over in Torgr-Beetleweight blog asking about the UHMW I figure that I will continue any question back here.
It's no longer going to be belt driven, does anyone know of a free prototyping program to make a better design instead of just drawling on paper?

I think 3/8 thick UHMW for the sidewalls of my 3lb.

If I was going to use it as the bottom or top plate what thickness would you use?

Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight   Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 1:00 pm

4goodbuys2 wrote:
I was over in Torgr-Beetleweight blog asking about the UHMW I figure that I will continue any question back here.
It's no longer going to be belt driven, does anyone know of a free prototyping program to make a better design instead of just drawling on paper?

I think 3/8 thick UHMW for the sidewalls of my 3lb.

If I was going to use it as the bottom or top plate what thickness would you use?

So now its back to being a beetleweight?
Back to top Go down
4goodbuys2

PostSubject: Re: Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight   Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 1:12 pm

It's back to being a beetleweight for the following reasons.
1 I now know about uhmw polyethylene, so I'm not using alum angle anymore.

2 I ordered 4 turnigy 20 amp brushed esc's $5 each for the drive, all 4 will weigh 2.4 ounces.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9090

I'm going to make a beetle and a ant it's just a matter of which one comes first.
Back to top Go down
Brandon Roberts

Brandon Roberts

PostSubject: Re: Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight   Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 11:48 pm

well Google sketch Up is free, its more of a rendering program then a CAD. We use it just for that purpose of not drawing on paper. its a lot simpler to use then CAD as well so if you have no experience with any software at all give it a try.

like i said its free and 100x better then using paper. AND! you be saving the rain forests! =p flower

if you are still a student in school (never checked your introduction sorry =p) autocad offers a free program to get a student version, there are two threads on that though.

The threads i know off hand are:
" Solidworks Student"
" Free Student Versions of SolidWorks/AutoCAD" (in Tech Help)

Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5946
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight   Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 6:21 am

I have had limited experience with Google Sketchup, but some folks think it's an OK tool for getting the rough idea together. It seems to be a pretty "quick learn", with several video tutorials.

In a similar way, I first got my feet wet with CAD by using a free online utility called emachineshop. What's good about emachineshop is that it gets you thinking in the correct way to move to full scale CAD (The process and interface are somewhat like solidworks or autocad), it has (or at least had, back when I was using it 4 years or so ago) a really good set of video tutorials, and it's free. What REALLY sucked about it was the inability to do assemblies. Each part was a separate entity and there was no way to put them together on-screen. I imagine that Sketchup has similar limitations, but I really don't know.

It can't hurt to take a look at both, if you are looking for FREE stuff.
Back to top Go down
4goodbuys2

PostSubject: Re: Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight   Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 8:46 am

This is the design that I came up with for my lifting beetle-weight after a few variations.
I haven't thought of the exact dimensions yet but I want close to 10-12 inch's in width so I can get other bots into the lifter.

I'm going to have 4 gear-motors to power the wheels I was looking at these http://banebots.com/pc/MS-25XXX-180/MS-25010-180 but they are discontinued so I will have to find something similar.

For now I will use 4 - 20 amp brushed single channel esc's for the drive so I'm looking for some gear-motors like the discontinued banebot motors to take advantage of the extra amps.

The lifter is most likely going to be powered by a low rpm gear-motor I have a design in my head for that but I haven't put it on paper yet.

Let me know what you think of my design so far and if there are place's that I can improve.

EDIT I think I just found a better solution and it's also cheaper I could by 2 of these 1000rpm
ebay gear-motors and belt drive it to the front or I could just buy 4. They look similar to the b16's.
Does anyone have any experience with these motors? http://cgi.ebay.com/Two-Mini-12V-DC-Gear-Motors-1000rpm-Hobby-buySAFE-/250673405483?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5d4c9e2b
I also found this one http://cgi.ebay.com/One-Medium-Torque-DC-3V-420RPM-Gear-Motor-Multi-Purpose-/300512533116?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f7f15a7c

Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight - Page 2 Dustpa12

Last edited by 4goodbuys2 on Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight   Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 11:29 am

did look at them but there probably the same ones a couple guys are using
Back to top Go down
4goodbuys2

PostSubject: Re: Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight   Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 8:28 am

Which gear-motors and what combination do you thick I should use?
4 of these motors 1 on each wheel over-volted to I'm not sure how many volts?
http://cgi.ebay.com/One-Medium-Torque-DC-3V-420RPM-Gear-Motor-Multi-Purpose-/300512533116?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f7f15a7c

Or 2 of these gear-motors in back with belt drive to the front, but I'm not sure if there is enough room on the shaft to add a motor and a pulley?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Two-Mini-12V-DC-Gear-Motors-1000rpm-Hobby-buySAFE-/250673405483?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5d4c9e2b

I'm kind of leaning towards the 3v gear-motor over volted to 7.4 or 11.1, but I wonder if if would have the same power as 2 of the other gear-motors, and I wonder how much each one of the 3v weigh.
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5946
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight   Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 5:40 am

I am NOT speaking from direct experience with any of those motors, but overvolting a 3V motor to 11.1V just sounds like a fire waiting to happen.

I'm exaggerating, of course, but I don't see that motor lasting long. My general rule is overvolt no more than 50% (3V to 4.5V, 12V to 18V, etc).
Back to top Go down
4goodbuys2

PostSubject: Re: Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight   Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 9:59 am

I received my UHMW polyurethane yesterday in the 3/8 thick and the 1/8 thick, I think I may of ordered it a little thick I guess I will have to make my robot thinner to make up for the extra weight.
I think I may go with the 12v 1000 rpm gear-motors unless someone has a better solution.
Back to top Go down
SamM
big contributor
big contributor

People Skills : 5398
Registration date : 2009-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight   Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 10:21 am

I have no experience with those 1000rpm motors, but I do use these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-x-12V-DC-1000RPM-Mini-Torque-Gear-Box-Motor-Hobby-/320569452140?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa36da66c

The ones you listed appear to have longer, heavier motors on them, and their torque is listed as lower, but I don't know how much to read into that because the listed torque on them both is much less than they can produce.

From my experience with mine I am happy with them. The motors are a bit weak for their size, but the gearbox seems very robust, I've had wheels ripped off without damaging the gearbox.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight   Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Designing my 4wd belt drive 3lb beetle weight
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next